If any of you have been treated to buckets of non-stop rain the past few days, I bet you are ready for another chair makeover. We’re so excited to show you guys what took us only three days to complete. Yes, we’re crazy obsessed with our DIY projects.
Much like our previous armchair makeover, this chair and fabric we purchased at quite a steal. And much like the previous armchair makeover, this chair was just as ugly in its previous state. See it below:
Ahh! My eyes! I’m kidding, it wasn’t that bad. But the bright sun definitely makes it look much better. The frame was covered in some kind of black gunk that I had to clean off with my best disinfectant wipes, sand the entire frame, and then wipe off the remaining dust with paper towels.
Then I primed the frame. Not sure why we primed before removing the existing fabric. However, I’m so glad we did because it has rained every day since. Our tools of choice:
[column size="1-2" last="1"]
That Comfort Grip is absolutely the best, especially if you have a lazy trigger finger. Also the trigger also you to adjust the thickness of the coats by adding less or more pressure.
Once the primed chair dried, we brought it inside to began immediately stripping the chair of its velvety fabric. The tufted back was first to go, not too many staples here, followed by the backside of the chair and then the cushion.
Let me explain to you guys how this chair was constructed. You could not remove the fabric from the cushion without removing the seat from the frame. It didn’t matter how many staples we removed, the fabric was screwed into the frame. Sadly, we didn’t figure this out until day two after almost breaking the wooden frame trying remove what we thought was the last staple.
After all the fabric was removed we were left with usable patterns to cut out the new fabric. As you can see the last fabric on the bottom left was butchered in the removal process, but we had enough sense to cut the new fabric correctly
It didn’t take too long to cut out the patterns with a rotary cutter. Here’s a little sneak peak of the fabric we’re intending to use. Gorgeous right?!
Sorry there seemed to be more pictures of the before process than in-progress photos, but once we started rolling we did not stop to take pictures. Another before shot just in case you forgot what it looked like.
However, you all love the after pictures so much more so without further ado…
The fabric we used is called “Diamante” by Duralee. It was purchased for $4.59 a yard and we bought the entire 2.75 yd remnant at Debois Textiles in Baltimore. The chair was bought at the local goodwill for $20. So the total cost of this project was somewhere around $30. Not bad for a complete chair makeover!
Update: Even though it’s still currently raining (4th day in a row), I was able to get some more shots of the chair with brighter light. You can see the great job Milla did on the tuft, which wasn’t as difficult as I thought it would be when you have existing button holes, the fabric sort of tufts automatically for you due the tension.
We’re linking up at these great parties.
On a side note: We are currently having a Schumacher Fabric Giveaway. Enter here to win